Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andrzej bialuski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?
need help understanding Time Machine Restore function
Dec 24, 2012

I have lost many files due to my lack of experience with Aperture.  Fortunately all these are still there, but they are sitting within Time Machine.

Now I am trying to go back to a date in August (which is before I started this mess).

Between August and today many new files have been added to the existing Photo Folders and I want  to keep the new photos and restore the ones which have been deleted.  Basically I would call this a MERGE of old and new.

As I am trying to restore from TM, I do not see the option for MERGE.

The only choices which are available are listed below

KEEP ORIGINAL I am not quite sure what happens here.

KEEP BOTH probably the best setting since it will restore deleted files and not erase new ones, but this will also duplicate everything wasting HD space

REPLACE This will replace the folder with its old version and bring back all deleted files, but I will also lose all files added to the folder after the selected restore date.

CAn anyone help me figure this out?

How can I replace missing files without erasing anything new? I prefer to set this at the top folder level and have TM look at each individual subfolder and figure out what to keep and what to replace without creating 1000's of duplicate files

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow