Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BigBarney
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?
The GH2 can do sports
Dec 24, 2012

All too often we hear that m43 cameras such as the GH series and OM-D are incapable of shooting sports, yet this may well depend on the sport in question. The sport of my youth was rugby football (both union and league for those in the know), and the last team I played for were the good guys in blue and white shown here:

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/sport/battling-win-for-hemel-1-4597888

As a tall person whose forte was jumping in lineouts, I was keen to capture the exact moment that the jumper took the ball. This shot will look miserable on your screen as it has been manipulated by the newspaper publisher, but the original is much less shabby. It was shot on a GH2 with 14-140mm lens in S mode at 1/500 second and AF-S to try and freeze the action. The other details are f5.8, ISO 320 and 70mm focal length. I find that using spot autofocus the present rapid AF on the GH2 is relatively easy to use for capturing the critical moment without having to fire off a burst. The key here is to know your sport and to be in the right place at the right time with the right equipment. For rugby football I would suggest that the GH2 and its kit lens is more than capable for sports photography.

It would be interesting to see other action sports stills taken with m43 equipment.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow