D4x with a D800 sensor? Locked

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
westerner
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
D4s is next pro body...D4x is redundant and unnecessary.
In reply to RedFox88, Dec 24, 2012

Nikon is (hopefully) working on a true replacement for the D3s in the form of a 18-20MP camera with a half-stop high ISO advantage over the D3s. There are really few places to go in the pro body market (except the stratosphere in megapixels, maybe). The last several FX bodies are great in their own right, but none can claim "D3s beater" in the noise department, not even D4. They do not need a D4x (it would be a lousy seller in light of D800/E already offered), but there is a pretty large crowd of photographers looking for the cleanest high ISO possible.

It would need to be no less than 18-20MP, however, as I believe the bar has been set way too high now with D800, and 16MP is now viewed by many as barely adequate, or even fairly inadequate by full frame standards with all the 24MP cameras out now. With a high ISO king, FPS between D800 and D4, and all of the other specs from D4, it should fill the bill for many who feel that the D800 is too slow with larger than needed files (like me), and also feel the D4 is just not enough better than D3/D3s for the money.

Step 2 would then be to make a D800s about 6 months later, after the D4s rush had slowed somewhat. Cut the FPS back down to just over current D800 (maybe 5FPS) and sell a ton of them like they did with the D700.

This is highly unlikely, I do realize. Because of that, I will probably go with a D800/E at some point, to replace my D700. But if a D4s and then a D800s like this ever came to be, I would be one of the first to go for it. Without a doubt...

-- hide signature --

K.B.

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow