MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,371Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 40mm STM 2.8 not a replacement for a Nifty Fifty
In reply to schmegg, Dec 24, 2012

schmegg wrote:

MAC wrote:

do you like it better on your 5d3 or 7d?

Damn good question that! I like it on both to be honest.

Part of its 'charm', for me at least, is how, with it mounted, and because of the good quality throughout the aperture range, I can just use the aperture as I see fit, without stopping to consider if it will be 'sharp enough' or such. Add that to the fact that it's almost not there when it's mounted, and I find it just a fun lens to use for street shooting. Very small and light and not intimidating at all. Accurate focusing if not the very fastest. A bit of CA at times, but easily fixable in post for the most part.

In reality, I enjoy using it on either format.

I'm thinking of getting one

It's so cheap, I think you should. At least try one for a while and sell it on if it's not what you'd hoped for - you won't loose much money on it I shouldn't think. It's hard for me to determine if you'll like it better than the nifty or the 50/1.4, but I think I do (until the light is too low for f2.8 anyway).

Thanks schmegg.  yeah, makes sense.  I didn't like reading though about cat's eye bokeh in the corners on FF at photozone.de, but I am using 2 crop cameras to 1 FF so it likely will fall on one of my crop cameras.

really enjoying my T4i and 60d btw with these small primes.  I'm one handing my T4i (no neck strap) and enjoying the LV and touch screen.  The 35 f2 I just got is really good f2.2 on my T4i.  - and so easy to one hand and LV focus with a 1/3 compo touch of the touch screen 

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow