Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arjun G
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
FZ 200 : Handling , care and accessories
Dec 24, 2012
  • I am yet to attach the strap that came with the camera as I find it inconvenient while taking some pictures, but after reading about the problems after a fall (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3356551), I might as well attach the strap. I wish there was a more convenient option though.
  • I bought a Slik MINI II ´╗┐tripod while I was waiting for this camera to arrive. I have not really been able to find a reason to use this tripod with the FZ200. So I have not used it so far. I guess it was stupid of me to buy it.
  • I am using a Sandisk Extreme 16 GB UHS-I card (45 MB/s) ´╗┐. The time taken to record videos on the FZ200 improved when I used this card compared to the 4 GB standard Panasonic card that came with the camera.
  • I have been using a Hoya HMC 52 mm Ultra Violet Filter since I un-boxed the FZ 200. I wanted to be careful since I have accidentally got finger prints on my earlier FZ38 lens (I removed them using the Lenspen LP-1 Lens Cleaner). The lens cap manages to sit on the filter. I have not really faced any problems because of this additional layer of glass, except once when I was trying to take an angular shot (camera held at an angle to the line of sight) of sunlight through trees in wide angle - there was a purple/violet haze which disappeared as soon as I Zoomed in.

Haze is not visible because I zoomed in

The lens of the FZ 200 does not retract fully into the barrel when the camera is switched off, unlike the FZ38 lens which retracts fully into the barrel (the FZ38's lens cap is attached to the barrel unlike the FZ200 where the lens cap is attached to the lens.) I wish the barrel were a bit longer on the FZ200 so that the lens would be protected from shocks when the camera is in my bag with other things that could exert pressure/weight on it.

I was much more confident using the FZ 38 because of this.

FZ 200 where the lans cap sits on the filter.Taken on the FZ 38.

FZ 38 where the lans cap sits on the barrel.Taken on the FZ 200 in M mode - fixed ISO.

The FZ38 had the option of switching on the camera after sliding a switch to the image preview mode - this meant that I could preview images without the lens mechanism getting powered up. This slider switch is missing on the FZ200 - so every time i want to just show someone the images on my camera, the lens gets powered up and then retracts after a while when it is in the playback mode.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow