A new Canon 50mm f/1.2 L?

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
William DIllard
Senior MemberPosts: 2,450Gear list
Like?
Re: You've got this mostly wrong but then you are not the first.
In reply to lighthunter80, Dec 24, 2012

lighthunter80 wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Moogles wrote:

I am wondering if now's a good time to get the current 50mm f/1.2 L famous for back-focusing and some said it's not, or should I wait.

__

Thanks Rick for this clarification. I use my L since about 1.5 years now and never noticed any focussing issue. I shoot it mostly between 1.2 and 1.8

I was skeptical when I bought this lens but never regret it. Prices at least here in Australia are 20% down compared to early 2011. The 85L is not an alternative to me, it's an addition. In my case I got the Sigma 85 1.4 and saved a lot with the same image quality.

The Sigma is very very good because you don't have to get so close to your subject to get really good background blur but I found that I had to lessen the contrast in camera in order for me to feel comfortable with it. If you notice a lot of pictures with the Sigma 85 seem stiff. I think Sigma was out to compete with Canon so they made the lens overly contrasty but they did not have to do that because the lens is sharp as it is and fast focusing too. I reduce the contrast by -1 and it is perfect !

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow