Questions re. Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 for my D5100.

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chrasmus
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: The new version is OS...
In reply to JimPearce, Dec 24, 2012

JimPearce wrote:

In stock at B&H for $2999. Personally, I think if you're serious about wildlife photography you'd be better off buying a 300 f4 AF-S and TC-14E, and save your money for the new top of the line DX camera. I shoot at f5.6 most of the time (500 f4 & TC-14E) and that's on a D300: I'd give my right arm for the extra 2/3 of a stop you get with the D5100. But I only use my 300 f2.8 VR in very low light with bigger targets such as owls or for BIF with the TC-14E. In general reach is more of a challenge than low light, although it would be great to have a solution for both - and 51 point autofocus.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Thank you Jim!

I had looked at the 300 f/4.0, but did not consider it due to the lack of image stabilization.  However, since it is a lot lighter (and cheaper) than the Sigma zoom, I may need to reconsider.

I am not sure how serious I am (or will be) about wildlife photography.  I purchased my first DSLR (D5100) less than a year ago.  Unexpectedly, I am having a blast shooting Macros as well as Birds.  I had thought that I would mainly take pictures of my family - which is getting sick of having their photos taken, unlike the bugs and birds.  Since I was not sure how much I would enjoy using my camera, I tried to initially purchase less expensive, decent quality equipment.  At this point I am having so much fun with this, that I feel like I can justify upgrading my equipment, perhaps to a new DX Pro Body if we get one, and some better glass.

Regards,

Christian

Chrasmus's gear list:Chrasmus's gear list
Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow