Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brent Allen Thale
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
Canon commercial encouraging damaging behavior
Dec 23, 2012

So I clicked on that Canon "Imagine" commercial that's been running on DPReview lately and I was shocked when I watched the whole thing through. On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-9LuCQXrk

The commercial seems to be encouraging photographers to engage in dangerous and destructive behavior in the quest to get a great picture. I'm surprised that most people seem to see this commercial as humorous, but I don't see anything funny in showing a photographer disturbing a bat colony, causing a panic'ed flight likely resulting in animal deaths, then celebrating the photographer's great bat photo at the end of the commercial!

Similarly, the sequence where a photographer videos a flaming tire rolling down what appears to be a public city street encourages the worst kind of behavior from people likely to try similar stunts.

I don't think the behavior shown in the commercial should be celebrated, I would prefer that we didn't get a few great shots if getting them puts people and animals at risk.

Brent Allen Thale's gear list:Brent Allen Thale's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow