Is the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 any good for real estate photography?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Questions thread
pschatz100
Contributing MemberPosts: 577
Like?
Re: Is the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 any good for real estate photography?
In reply to ddvideo, Dec 23, 2012

For most real-estate images I have seen, either posted on the web or used in brochures, just about any of the m4/3 lenses will be sharp enough.  The question is really a matter of how wide the lens needs to be and your tolerance for distortion.  The 12-35 f/2.8 is a good lens but it is expensive and is probably not really wide enough for small rooms.  The Panny 7-14 or the Oly 9-18 will offer more useful wide coverage.

The Oly lens is a great choice: it is cheaper than the Panny, and is also smaller and more convenient to use.  However, the Panny is the better lens.

Keep in mind that very wide lenses are rather difficult to use well.  If you do not plan to take the time to really "learn" wide angle photography, than I doubt you would benefit all that much from the extra 2mm the Panny gives you at the wide end.  However, if you can make the commitment to learn the lens, the Panny will be a top-notch choice.

I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

-- hide signature --

pschatz100
It's not how many pixels you have... but how you use them.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow