Any comparative tests of EA1 and EA2?

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,077Gear list
Like?
Re: Can you briefly cover your experience of where each has served you best?
In reply to cwinte, Dec 23, 2012

cwinte wrote:

My personal interest is in what the trade-offs are... so your thoughts as a user of both would be great.

Usually, it's almost entirely a question of trading focusing speed for lens speed, but there are other variables, such as AF noise with screwdrive lenses (manual focus is less noisy, even with screwdrive).

For the occasional video clip, I prefer the EA2 combined with an SSM lens, although those lenses will also work in AF with the EA1, just much more slowly and more prone to hunting.

For macro work, the EA1 is the obvious choice. Almost entirely manual focusing - or moving back and forth to get the subject in focus.

In all, I use the EA2 the most, and by a wide margin, simply because of the greater versatility it offers; but I have no regrets that I bought both - partly because my EA2 has shown to be incompatible with my Minolta 3x-1x macro zoom - there's no indication of aperture, and as a consequence TTL metering is not available, which really is a problem).

Do you carry both around or...?

Not very often, but if I have both macro and other lenses - as well as room for both - I may.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow