Your best shot of 2012 with your new Nikon.

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders Borum
Contributing MemberPosts: 675Gear list
Like?
Re: Your best shot of 2012 with your new Nikon.
In reply to dnorth12, Dec 23, 2012

A telephoto shot with a silhouette of a very old cluster of birches near the fjord.

I live near water (fjords), and over the previous years I've wanted to take my gear and hike in search of some good spots to capture the often beautiful sunsets in the autumn. Not sure what it is, but it's like the high clouds scatter, once over open water around here, and spread for some great natural gradients.

A shot from the inside of the same cluster of birches (much later in the evening)

This autumn I shot a lot of silhouettes, and a cluster of birches combined with the natural gradients of a clear sky (which I just love), made for a good training spot. Over a number of days, I went back to the spot (typically at 8:30 PM or later), trying different compositions. The thought behind the photo was trees mourning over the dying sun; I also deliberately included a tiny part of the ground as the silhouette, providing for a stark contrast against the glowing band (and serving as a well-known base for the viewer).

Whether this is evident from the photo, I don't know, but it was definitely a great experience and a break from the busy days at the office; nothing beats the open sky.

-- hide signature --

with regards
anders borum / http://www.sphereworks.dk

Anders Borum's gear list:Anders Borum's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OrbNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow