Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 10-22 samples - opinions please
In reply to Sovern, Dec 23, 2012

Sovern wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Sovern wrote:

I'm seeing a significant amount of vignetting in the first photo. Quality looks fine....I wouldn't expect a lot out of an EF-S lens. If you want a better wide angle drop the EF-S zoom or get a FF.

Why wouldn't you expect a lot out of an EF-S lens? Some of them, like the 10-22, are top notch. If you have a crop camera, an EF-S lens is often the best choice, especially at wide angle.

Because you don;t see the sweet spot like you would with an EF L lens. EF lenses are just better built. The 10-22 and 17-55 are both made of plastic while even my EF 85 1.8 is primarily metal.

Neither of those is a good reason. EF-S lenses are designed specifically for crop cameras. If you think being made of plastic is a reason to doubt the optics of a lens, you obviously don't have much experience with lenses. I have 3 L primes and 2 L zooms, as well as the 85 F1.8, and the 10-22, so I know how EF lenses compare with EF-S lenses. The 10-22 isn't as solidly built as the L lenses, but it is fine. As far as results are concerned, solid build doesn't affect it.

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow