Anyone care to translate - Japanese.

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
Re: Alight, here it is. Translation of the full article!
In reply to TTo, Dec 23, 2012

TTo wrote:

Happy holiday guys. Here's the full full page Pentax article translated.

Thank you very much for your helpful translation. For myself, i don't see anything much here that might not have been said a few years ago even before Hoya came on the scene. About the only indication that Pentax are under Ricoh now, and in theory have access to sufficient development funds for expansion, is the leak that a new Ricoh camera is not far off and Pentax will put their "all" into it. Everything else seems to be only too "in theory" from FF to mirrorless to actual spending on development. In practice it is very hard to tell what, if anything much, is happening. A new APS-C DSLR or two? Yes but that would have happened under any owner. Nothing to see here, move along.

I don't really buy this ultra-cautious, ultra-conservative view right down to regarding MILCs as good only for "snapshots" and (in an earlier interview) eschewing tilting LCDs - too new fangled, not serious enough, etc. It's all so crusty middle-aged male old bloke stuff - where's the energy and the vibe and the excitement?

Pentax make absolutely excellent cameras, no doubt about it. But concentrating on the increasingly narrow field of the traditional APS-C DSLR doesn't really do it for me as a guide to strategy over the next five or more years. When this all started out a few years ago, the APS-C DSLR had no peers. There were no MILCS and no FFs anywhere near. Now there are lots, more and more sophisticated and temptingly priced and with, for the dedicated photographer, more and more of a full system built up around them.

I really wish Pentax would come of their foxhole and start fighting for a change - and perhaps stop giving interviews whose baseline is "We are committed to making no commitments". I'd love to continue using Pentax equipment but I'm beginning to wonder if they've got the stomach for it. They just sound so tired these days.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow