Windows 8 and Cedar Trail Atom performance

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Questions thread
Adrian Tung
Senior MemberPosts: 2,809Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8 and Cedar Trail Atom performance
In reply to jamesdak, Dec 23, 2012

jamesdak wrote:

Please take no offense here but I am wondering what the reasoning was for the purchase? In my simple mind it just seems so expensive when you could have gotten a true laptop much cheaper that would have been much more capable generally? Just curious to hear what the attraction in to the tablet, size, touch screen, etc?

-- hide signature --

Long live the HMS Beagle Critiques always welcome!

I've been wanting to replace my old Tablet PC with a new one for a long time, but wanted the convenience of a slate form factor over convertible. Windows 7 and before wasn't ideal to work with in a pure slate form, but with Windows 8 being built especially for the tablet form factor, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make the switch.

Specific features that I was looking for in this device were:

1) lightweight and slim form factor without sacrificing performace -- so the thing fits nicely in the shoulder bag with a DSLR and 3 fast primes without breaking my shoulder or back

2) active digitizer -- Samsung's S-pen is practically a Wacom, and this is very convenient whether making photo edits on the move or taking notes using One Note

3) mobile broadband support -- Wifi isn't everywhere around here, so having mobile broadband is a big plus for me

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Canon EOS 10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow