How to measure tripod shake? (windy beach with long exposures)

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
SPW1981
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: How to measure tripod shake? (windy beach with long exposures)
In reply to SPW1981, Dec 23, 2012

Thank you very much for your answers.
Finally I'm going for the Gitzo Systematic Series 3 (GT3542LS) and the Acratech GP ballhead with a quick release clamp (lever-style - I don't understand why people call those with a knob "quick release" too).
I don't want to take the risk of having unsharp shots and as conditions I want to be able to shoot in are quite extreme (windy beaches and long exposure times) I definitely want to be on the safer side.
A tripod that's not totally stable is useless. As I don't have the possibility to do any objective measure (which is dependent on external factors like the weather like happysnapper said), I would constantly doubt if the Ocean Traveler is sufficiently sturdy. Maybe it is and I'm going to carry around much heavier gear than I would need… But I've done my choice now.
So why don't I take  the Systematic Ocean? It's really ridiculously expensive. I found a deal for the regular Systematic (GT3542LS) for 600 EUR; the cheapest for the Systematic Ocean (GT3542LOS) I found was 1500 EUR. This is totally insane… With the regular Systematic I will have to clean my tripod very well after each use in salt water and sand and I should be fine anyway.
PS: On days that I really want to travel lightweight, I can still take my Gorillapod Focus with Ballhead X (762gr).

Best regards,
Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow