Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hsi771
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
E 35mm f1.8 OSS noise?
Dec 23, 2012

I just bought my SEL-35F18 for a couple of days, and very happy with the IQ. However, during my test in a quiet room, I noticed a faint high-pitch noise (kinda humming noise, but with a higher pitch) when the lens tries to focus. The noise is difficult to hear in a normal/noisy room, but sometimes it becomes very apparent when the lens struggles to focus (e.g. pointing to non-contrasty background or focusing at close distance). I also noticed on the LCD, the image is shaking for about one second before it locked the focus, and then stops when it acquires one. The longer it struggles, the longer the live view is shaking.

After some experiment, I found that it has something to do with the OSS (Steady Shot). When I turned it off, the noise gone, and the lens (live view) is not shaky.

I brought the lens to Sony, and compared it with their demo unit. With it, the noise is not apparent; but can't tell it for sure since the room is a bit noisy. Since the lens is functioning OK, Sony cannot opt for a replacement unless I leave it for investigation/service. I got 5-days warranty from the shop on top of 1-year official warranty from Sony, so I rather not.

Have anybody notice the same? Is it normal or I got a bad copy?  The lens functioning ok though, only I worried about the abnormal noise and shaky live view when focusing.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow