Drobo vs. external HD's for back up new 27" iMac?

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Questions thread
PatrickNSF
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
Re: Drobo vs. external HD's for back up new 27" iMac?
In reply to Mouser, Dec 23, 2012

Mouser wrote:

Yep, my money would be on a striped Duo. Maximum performance and easy to upgrade the drives in future. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on, whatever option you choose.

Thanks. I've spent the past two days getting the new computer set up and seeing what I can delete/archive. (I'm amazed at how many random hard drives I've accumulated over the years - and how disorganized my data is - but that's another story.)

I'm probably just around 4TB of data now, including a bunch of iTunes media that I probably don't need, so I'm tempted by the striped Duo. I think my only hesitation is that if I have a drive fail, I need to rebuild the entire 6TB Duo from the Drobo. And having spent hours upon hours watching the painfully slow Drobo move data to the new iMac, even through a fast Firewire 800 (via a Thunderbolt adapter) connection, I'm not sure that's something I'd ever want to rely on.

For the price of the 6TB striped Duo, I could get two 4TB Studios and allocate some data to each one. Then if one fails I only need to worry about restoring about 2TB of data from the Drobo.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...

PatrickNSF's gear list:PatrickNSF's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a77 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow