Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lighttripper
Contributing MemberPosts: 668
Like?
DP1 Merrill observations
Dec 23, 2012

I wrote a fairly long, non-professional review (somebody needed to say something by now) of the DP1 Merrill on Amazon based on a few test sessions near home.  I took the camera to Yellowstone yesterday to really test it for its intended use in the field.  It was -3 degrees F at dawn, but I had the camera in a small bag with the camera strap around my neck and the bag within my coat.

I shot across the whole day with one battery, expecting it to give up after 70 shots or so--even with diminished screen use.  Instead, I got 162 RAW file images with the DP1 Merrill--from a battery that has been recharged just 3 times.  The battery symbol was empty of its three little green squares by day's end, but it didn't quit before the sun went down.  Anyone else seeing increased battery life with continued use?

I've noted a small greenish cast to image margins during earlier tests--and much less of it in shots in bright snow yesterday.  I took my DP1s along as well--and the green margins (predominately to the right margin) was as evident as usual.

My only complaint with the camera is the lens and exposure data displayed on the screen in red--specifically, the exposure compensation.  It is maddeningly difficult to read in bright, outdoor conditions.  And compensation is especially easy to inadvertently change while just handling the camera between shots.

Anyway, great camera for landscapes.

Doug

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP1s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow