Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 548
Why I sold my a99 and went for the d800
Dec 23, 2012

I loved the a99 and what sony is doing.  I have been with the slt system since the a55.  The a77 I sold because the noise was abhorrent.  Was so excited about the a99

and it is a great camera in many respects.  Evf, flip out LCD, full time live view, no mirror slap, in body stabilization.. So why did I sell out?

first of all build.  The body lacks weather sealing at key areas and the sd card door flexed under my grip.  I didn't like that.

second of all AF system.  I liked the idea of the sensor based assist but it just seemed cumbersome.  Worse yet having all my AF points centre clustered was basically a deal breaker for event photography where I need to  compose on moving objects.

third, video, the AF system is useless, it locks aperature at 3.5 and jumps shutter speed and ISo all Over.  To use it properly it requires Manual focus

forth, the deal breaker, the flash system.  The hot shoe is aweful just asking for bent pins on flash or hot shoe so you need to use thE caps.. Fine.. But then my flash over heated while shooting a grooms getting ready.. the flash was not even warm to touch.  There is no way I would ever trust this set up for a ceremony.. So. Gone.  Hope zest build will be better as I though sony was the best of aall manufacturers and I loved the zeiss glass but.  I cannot as a professional wedding photographer use this camera

Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow