Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paks
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: OSS and Manual Mode NEX-6
In reply to blue_skies, Dec 22, 2012

blue_skies wrote:

Paks wrote:

First time poster (LT reader), so perhaps this has been addressed before. If it has, I did not find any evidence of it, but apologies in advance.

In Full Manual Mode with Sony OSS E Mount lenses, is OSS active?

Also, is OSS activated when using the LEA2 or LEA1? How about the FotoDiox lens adapters (or any others for that matter).

Thanks!

OSS and Manual modes are unrelated.

You can turn OSS on and off through the camera menus.

You can set Focusing to AF, DMF or MF for E mount lenses.

You can set Aperture in A mode, or by using the override controls.

With the LA-EA2, only A Mount lenses that have OSS will give OSS. They will have a switch to turn it on or off.

Same applies to the AF - there is a switch to switch between AF and MF. DMF exists in very few A mount lenses.

If you use a non-electrical adapter, the lens remains unpowered. You cannot set aperture, and you will not have OSS. On most lenses you can preset aperture (remove them while camera is still on), or you can use an adapter with mechanical aperture built in, and keep the lens in wide open position.

On focus-by-wire lenses - such as most E mount lenses, MF is not possible if the lens is not powered up.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thanks Henry,

That explains it pretty well.  I just got my first adapters for Nikkor and screw mount 42 lenses yesterday (delayed by a week).  I am looking forward to using them.

Best,

Paks

Paks's gear list:Paks's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow