WHY would you purchase a FULL FRAME Pentax? (In point format)

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
Re: WHY would you purchase a FULL FRAME Pentax? (In point format)
In reply to RStyga, Dec 22, 2012

I use my Pentax DSLRs for mostly outdoor conditions where I'm traveling over great distances on foot and over rugged terrain. Most of my "outdoor" shooting needs don't require that supper high ISO performance that full frame offers you. The thing that really suites my needs best about Pentax APS-C format is the 1.5x focal factor that allows me to save a tremendous amount of weight and bulk on 2 of my 3 lenses that I use on almost all my backpacking trips, my DA* 16-50 f2.8 DA* 50-135 f2.8. Those equivalent focal legnths in FF would be 24-75 and 70-200. Here's a visual on the difference between my 2.5lb Tamron Di 70-200 f2.8 and my 1.5lb Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8 in terms of the bulk:

Here's the biggest difference between a FF body like the D3s and the K5 like I use, that really makes FF a no-brainer choice for my shooting needs which include limited space for photogrphy gear that I have to carry when I go backpacking and climbing.

I think that I've managed some pretty good results with the APS-C Pentax bodies over the years for what I use them for:

Now, could I and benifit from a FF Pentax DSLR body and would I want one?

Yes, if I aquire the FA 31 1.8 as my next lens before a FF Pentax body, I'll have a very good starting point/lens for what I would want to use it for, "Indoor dim-lit shooting conditions that involve people," definately. But, I will also need to be able to afford it. If Pentax comes out right-off-the-bat and wants to go toe-toe with the D4 in performance, features, and let's not forget "Price." then I'm sure all bets are off. However, if they come out with a FF that has the asking price similar to the D600, <$2,000 and peforms like a D800 near flawless ISO 2500 performance, a full viewfinder of avaialable AF points that work like a D4/D800, "Now we're talking."

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow