new i-mac

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
PatrickNSF
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Re: new i-mac
In reply to qstudios, Dec 22, 2012

qstudios wrote:

Mine comes in on the 27th will be able to report back then.

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG

I'll be pairing this with a Helios Thunderbolt Enclosure + 512GB OCZ Vector Drive and a 32GB RAM upgrade. I'll also be breaking the fusion to do a bootcamp setup and then re-create it so I can run OSX and Win 7 64-Bit on it. I'll be seeing how she handles Capture One, Lightroom 4 and CS6.

I picked up mine on Monday with the same specs, but with a 1TB Fusion Drive instead. So far it's a nice improvement oner my 2008 iMac. Other than speed, the biggest improvement I'm seeing is the reduced glare, which is noticeable.

The one drawback for me is the difficulty I'll have opening it up. I've always opened up our previous iMacs to swap HDs and, on the last one, replace the HD with an SSD. This time, I've decided to go with the Fusion to see how that compared to the SSD and do an overhaul on my external drives and backup strategy (which, I'll confess, has been less than ideal).

PatrickNSF's gear list:PatrickNSF's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow