High-speed in-flight insects 3D hardware prototype.

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frans_vdm
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
High-speed in-flight insects 3D hardware prototype.
Dec 22, 2012

I've just finisch the prototype boards to build 2 units to capture high-speed in-flight insects in 2D and 3D next year. The hardware support external flashes, external high-speed shutter and multiple camera's (Olympus EPL3, Nikon D300 or any other cameras). The in-flight insects are detected through a unique laser system with a detector-lag of only 70 us. Insects to less than 0.5 mm can be detected at high-speed in-flight and very close to the lens as super macro. The hardware use a FPGA controller board to scan the very high speed line sensor detector with 128 pixels. This detector give me information about flight direction, speed and focus position of the in-flight moving insects. Even at a distance of 500mm from the lens a very small moving insects of 0.5mm can be detected with this unique system. The detector speed chips works on 48 MHz to send the data information to the controller. After fast processing the controller decide the optimal position to take the image. The external shutter-lag is only 3.5 msec, so the insects stay nice into the capture frame.

Pictures of the prototype hardware are here in all form as 2D and 3D:

I hope early march to capture the insects. This hardware is just an update from the previous version, every year I make a new version, more powerfull, faster and lighter.

Frans, fotoopa.

Nikon D300 Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow