D800 and Motion Blur

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,662Gear list
Like?
Re: This is exactly right.
In reply to fft81, Dec 22, 2012

fft81 wrote:

Shooting D800 i found that for me 1/(3*FL) works well without VR. On 24-70 that would be 1/250th. The thing about shake blur is that it is very annoying when it is very small. You almost have a tach sharp image, yet there is something unsharp about all of it...

I bracket all of my shooting, tripod or handheld, in 1/3 stops from +/- 2/3 stops. That's 5 shots with the D3x and I only get 3 shots with the 5D2. I am a strong believe in getting the best exposure with the camera rather than with the RAW though small push or pulls don't hurt. Shooting a lot of Av over the years and studying the different SS, I believe 3x or 4x FL works best for me though I was shooting with my new Canon 24-70 II over Thanksgiving and noticed that 1/400 was producing really sharp images. But then, I am old and decrepid.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow