Ef 300 is ism

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Questions thread
T Nels
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Re: Ef 300 is ism
In reply to lazze, Dec 22, 2012

I have owned the 300mm f4l is for a few years.  Initially I used it on an XSI and noticed a tendency of the lens to slightly front focus.  The lens is very sharp, but does have that tendency.  Shots look sharp, but when I carefully look at the images on screen I can see where the branch just in front of the bird, or the foreground immediately in front of the subject is a bit sharper.  There is no micro focus adjustment in the XSI and since images with my other lenses are sharp, I figured it to be a minor calibration issue with the lens.  When I bought a T3i, my hunch was confirmed since the lens behaved exactly the same on that body.  I just purchased a 5d Mark III.  My first full frame.  I just got through the manual and one of these days when I have a little time, I will enjoy making a slight in camera micro focus adjustment and see how this lens works.  My guess is it will be bang on with a little bit of adjustment away from the camera.  With micro focus available in your body, you should be able to make this type of adjustment.  When you are dealing with lenses of this much reach, the depth of field can be extremely narrow, so it's likely not a major fault with the lense, and something that can be compensated for with mfa.  Good luck!

T Nels's gear list:T Nels's gear list
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow