A57 Questions

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296Gear list
Like?
Re: A57 Questions
In reply to Ed H., Dec 22, 2012

Ed H. wrote:

I am considering an A57 and had a few questions.

- Local dealers have it bundled with the 18-55 kit lens. Is this lens fairly decent?

For a 18-55mm f3.5-4.5 lens, it's probably about as good as any other with the same limited range and aperture. If that's the style lens that'll suit you, it's price / performance will be hard to beat.

Reading the reviews on the 18-135, I'm not totally convinced it's image quality is much better, but it's got a much larger range that will provide convenience. It also has an upgrade SAM focus system, but I'm not sure how much difference that will make on an A57.

The other option would be to buy body only and get something along the 16-50mm f2.8, certainly more expensive. But it's hard to guess what your needs might be.

- I have an old Minolta Maxxum 700si with Minolta 50mm AF 1.7 and Tokina AF 70-210 4-5.6. Am I correct that those lenses would work with the A57. At least on the Maxxum I was always happy with the sharpness and color of the 50mm.

The Minolta will certainly work. Many people use them on there Sonys (like me) and are pleased with the results.

That Tokina probably will, there are some that might have issues, but they seem to rarely occur. I just sold one on Ebay for about $20, there OK lenses, they work, and it's a decent enough piece of gear to start a bit of a kit with, but don't expect too much from it, and you can get an older Minolta 70-210 f4 (beercan) for about $100 that'll probably do much better. In short, if you get the A57 mount it up and try it out, but don't give extra consideration to the A57 because you have this lens you can use.

- If I understand SLT technology correctly, low light performance would be slightly less than say the NEX 5R or 6.

yes, but, I've never seen an direct comparison, and many of the folks who are much smarter than me seem to dismiss this as inconsequential.  I would consider the size and ergonomic differences between the two cameras first. Earlier this evening I was visiting a local site and found a family there trying to get there portrait setting the timer on a NEX and putting it on a small wall. They weren't sure the camera took the picture, but noticed that the flash didn't go off.

One of the guys glanced at me and notices the A77+vertical grip I had hanging off my shoulder and was like, hey, He knows how to do this give it to him. There's a pretty serious difference in how one holds and uses the two camera, the difference in size and weight kinda shocked me immediately switching from one to the other. While I helped the lady pick the night portrait mode (she was trying the night scene, which wouldn't fire the flash), I considered just setting it up manually, but had no idea how long it would take me to figure out how the aperture, shutter and ISO were set. Part of that unfamiliarity, but part is looking at it and seeing there's no button on it.

But, consider how I was spotted out of the crowd with an A77+vertical grip and a 28-75 f2.8 lens mounted. They don't fit in a pocket.

Any input is appreciated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow