Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
beachbumdave
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
D800 left focus point test results
Dec 22, 2012

I just got a new d800 and of course have immediately tested the left focus point.  I set up a test target and leveled the camera to the target.  The first picture shows the test target and the center, right and left focus targets

are circled in red. A yard stick is just below the aiming point and provides a reference to which target I am viewing (when I crop the picture) and also serves to keep the focus test chart perfectly flat to the wall.

My camera is d800 serial number 3053812 just received from B&H. The lens is a 24 - 120mm f4 set at 35mm and f4. First I used live view, tripod mounted, lens VR off, and auto fine tune  was  off.  I took a three pictures using the center, right most, and left most focus points. All three pictures were very sharp viewed in Lightroom at 100%.

Then out of live view to regular focus mode, I racked the focus to infinity  and then focused on the center target and when I saw the focus dot I took a picture. I repeated for the right focus point and then the center.  Picture 2 is a blow up of the center target taken using the center focus point. Picture 3 is a blow up of the right target using the right most focus point and picture 4 is a picture of the left target when focusing with the left most focus point. As can be seen the picture of the left focus point when the camera was using the left focus point is just the littlest bit softer than the picture of the center focus point and the right focus point.

Do I have a problem?  I am paranoid about this issue after reading all the hype. The softness using the left most focus point is minimal but it is there.

David

Picture of center of test chart while camera used center focus point

Picture of right test chart with camera using right most focus point

Picture of left focus chart target when camera used left most focus point.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow