Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
Re: How would you test for this?
In reply to cerberusjf, Dec 22, 2012

cerberusjf wrote:

Hi Mako,

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a site to tell me how to test for a misaligned focus mirror? I was going to consider another Nikon simply due to the fact that I have some Nikon lenses and as I won't get much for them if I sell them, it makes more sense to use them. After all the problems I had with the D5100 and how Nikon did not repair it, I am not keen to buy another camera with potential focus problems.

I had considered the D7000 as I want fine focus tuning, but when I tried it with my 35mm 1.8 alongside the D600 (with the same lens), the D7000 backfocused badly, whereas the D600 was very sharp. The D600 was also sharp with the 50mm 1.8, so I assume my lenses are okay.

Maybe fine tuning would have brought the D7000 back into focus, but I am not keen to repeat my D5100 experience. Can I ask what makes you so sure there aren't any "problem" D7000s out there? I feel I have to buy the D600 to get reliable autofocus. I would rather save the money and get the D7000, but not if I have to send it into Nikon again and again and again and get the same level of service I got with the D5100. If I had to send the D7000 in, it would be the same level of service as the D5100 because all Nikon DX cameras are all sent to the same company from the area of the UK where I live and I'm really not prepared to go through that experience again.

Thanks for any help.

My D7000 + 35/1.8 behaved the same as yours, but only in low incandescent light.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
ManyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow