Started Nov 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
marald
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: a99 & Pixel King TTL Flash Trigger
In reply to alphacam, Dec 22, 2012

Thanks for your quick response alphacam & TomHJ

alphacam wrote:

Hi, i don't have my camera with me now to check the camera settings (at work now). But anyways, from the way you're describing, it sounds like what happened to me with the older firmware.. it'll sometimes flash/blink, and when it does, I'll get a dark picture like it's without the flash (not sync properly). It all went away after i downloaded/installed the v1020 firmware. We have to use this v1020 firmware on all devices (transmitter and all receivers; not just one or the other). Maybe check/reflash all the transmitters and receivers again to see if this will help(?). Also on the camera itself, be sure the flash mode is set to Autoflash or Fill-flash (not Wireless mode; we set the flash like it's is on the camera and not away). Also on the camera, check/change the "Front Curtain Shutter" to the opposite mode from what it is now. Good wishes to you.

I came across your post above, so this was the first thing I tried.

I've checked the firmware of the transmitter and both the receivers, the transmitter and one of the receivers were already at 1020..but updated anyway. One receiver was 1000 after update 1020 as well. Didn't make any difference though.

Tried the e-shutter on and off, also no difference. Tried the same with SS.

The strangest thing is that it won't work with my A700 either... or that it works on camera on top of the PK. but directly on the iso -> min shoe adapter, it works flawlessly.

But then I read the next post..

TomHJ wrote:

Regarding the F43, I have an a77, so this is a suggestion "by analogy."...

The F58 flash and the Pixel Kings work just fine TTL, with the flash set (as usual) to HSS.

But the F43 doesn't work above 1/200 when set to HSS. The flash fires, but obviously not when the shutter is open (since the frame is essentially black). However--and this is strange--if I turn HSS off on the flash (requires getting into a function) and then use the same set-up as for the F58, the F43 works just fine on a Pixel King receiver (tested on manual, f/8, at shutter speeds 1/500 to 1/2000). As I said, I don't understand it--turning HSS off on the flash in order to use shutter speeds up to 1/2000.

Perhaps give this a try with the a99 and F43....

I don't know if I checked shutter speeds <200.. so could be..

I found your message on the dyxum forum as well, and was anxious to try it out. So I just did, and indeed, now it flashes in Sync. And it looks like it's working with hss as well. The camera still says hss with the flash logo, but I switched it off on the F43. Now I got sync..
The flash doesn't seem to react a lot to manual power.. I had to adjust manual from 1/128 to 1/16 to go from a normal exposed shot  to overexposed, with the flash just 15 cm from the subject. Maybe that's because it's hss and does't give the same amount of power as in non-hss mode. 
I will try to run some more tests later, and see what works and what doesn't.
So far, just getting used to the new equipment but I already love the A99 and the Zeiss lenses. Even my old min 50 1.7 looks good on the a99 and makes it a very light low light combo..
Just have to figure out how to enable automatic zoom and peaking when using DMF and leave it disabled when not using DMF.
Marald
 marald's gear list:marald's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow