ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Team Thor Expeditions
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Oly OMD-EM5 Battery Holder Question
Dec 22, 2012

Esteemed list members:

First, let me state that depth and breadth of knowledge represented on this forum blows me away.  I am new to this list and have been reading most of the posts and am truly impressed.

So, armed with those accolades, I have a question for relevant EM5 owners:  I have the PBH (power battery holder) setup for my EM5.  I have set the battery priority to use the PBH first and then have been using the camera/grip assembly for a week or so.  Given the intelligence that appears to be built into the camera and given that I set the battery priority to PBH, I fully expected it to use the add-on battery first.  Indeed it did.  But when the battery was discharged, I expected that the camera would automatically switch to the in-body battery in a smooth, graceful transition.

That is not what occurred.  What I observed was that the display and EVF were non-responsive to the power switch.  Zip, zilch, nada.  On a whim, I removed the battery from the grip and cycled the power.  Camera operated as expected.  Replace discharged battery in grip: nada.

Has anyone else observed this?  Or is there something else at play, perhaps yet-another menu setting that I have missed?  Or is there something else wrong.

I really, REALLY expected a graceful handling of the discharged battery with some appropriate warning in the viewfinder.

I am ok with this if this is the "normal" behavior, it just means that I need to remove the grip battery if the camera is dead-on-turn-on.

Comments or insights?

Thanks in advance.

bc

-- hide signature --

BC
Team Thor Expeditions

Team Thor Expeditions's gear list:Team Thor Expeditions's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow