ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Going FF; Input appreciated
Dec 21, 2012

Hi all,

At last I made up my mind- I am going FF. I was using a Pentax K-5 until 4-5 months before. I loved that camera and I was getting good, but some things bothered me much. And I decided to pass to (Actually return to) Nikon. I wanted a more practical and responsive camera, better AF, FF possibility, etc. and bought a D7000. Been using the D7000 for that 4-5 months now.

I thought about the D700 right after leaving the K5, but at the time my reasons not to buy the D700 were;

- It was still expensive-ish

- It was much bigger and heavier than the K-5 or D7000

- I could not afford the better lenses a FF requires

- My level of enthusiasm didn't propel me to.

But what do I know. The FF thing slowly lured me into it. It stung me. I have been happy with the D7000, but now I want a more serious camera which will fill my hand (therefore I'll go along with the weight and size). My D7000 sometimes tired me with its character - you have to shoot very very steadily because of that pixel density. I like slim DOF, so I want to use 1.4 lenses with my camera, and this has been a recurring challenge with the D7000. But it is probably me - I don't have the steadiest hands.

And learning that the D700's sensor did not require so much resolution like the D7000's sensor was a final step for me to decide that the D700 will be a better camera for me.

I mainly do candid street shots.

The D800 is too expensive for me, and I'd rather stay away from the D600 now.

I now think a setup of a D700 + 20/24mm 2.8 D + one of the 50mms + 105mm VR + 70-300 VR, which can be established in medium term with a moderate budget, will do me fine and get good quality out of the D700.

So, second hand D700 prices being low these days, I think that I can ship my D7000 and Sigma 30mm 1.4 and get a D700 + 50mm 1.8 D for not much more. Then I'll start adding the above lenses.

So I am asking, is this going to feed my enthusiasm more? Surely there are persons here who went FF from DX. I'd like to hear what happens when you make that jump and also about this plan of me here, what you may advise me about FF, etc. Just tell me what is to be told to a person moving into FF.

Sincerely,

Sener

Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow