Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,715
Like?
Re: Buy the D800 and wait for the Samyang T-S 24mm
In reply to michaeladawson, Dec 21, 2012

michaeladawson wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

The disadvantage of the Samyang is that (as far as I can tell) it does not have the electronically controlled aperture (the "E" in PC-E). It is like using a view camera. You have to open the aperture manually to compose and focus. Close it down manually to shoot. This is the way the older Nikon 85mm PC lens works.

Where did you read that? I am very interested in the Samyang when it comes out. I currently have the 85mm lens from them and it is a bargain.

I would be shocked if the lens was completely manual and had to be stopped down like you suggest. But you never know.

I don't recall. Note that the Samyang page does not mention anything about the aperture. Having electronic connections and motor for the aperture is something to brag about with a T/S lens. It wasn't many years ago that Nikon introduced the PC-E upgrade from PC and Nikon only has to do it through one rotation. The Samyang will do it through two rotations.

If Samyang were sophisticated enough to do an electronic aperture through two rotations I would expect them to also be able to make AF-S versions of their lenses.

I'll be very very surprised if they manage an electronic aperture.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow