Difference in light "quality" between flash and continuous for tabletop indoor still life?

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HEA-45
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Difference in light "quality" between flash and continuous for tabletop indoor still life?
Dec 21, 2012

I recently purchased an LED continuous light source for my indoor, tabletop, still life shots. I mentioned this to a member of my photo club, and he thought the purchase was unnecessary since a Nikon SB700 flash is part of my kit. He argued that the light "quality" of flash is superior and cannot be duplicated by a continuous light source. My feeling is that light is light- regardless of its origin. What matters is the image. I realize that his opinion, like many things in photography, is subjective, but does anyone care to discuss his vague definition of light quality?

HEA-45's gear list:HEA-45's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow