Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
halai
Contributing MemberPosts: 674
Like?
D600 vs. Pentax K-5 Oil/Dust Sensor Comparison
Dec 21, 2012

I found something very interesting I wanted to share with you guys.  Here are 2 photos from 2 different cameras that I took of a blue sky, both are at f16.  First is the Nikon D600 which I received 2 days ago, brand new.  I have only taking 15 shots at the time I found this on the sensor.  It is not much yet, but as you can see there are already oil/dust around the sensor.  The one thing that bothers me most is the big around circle that looks like stain in the middle top of the sensor.  What is that and will it gets worst?

To my curiosity, I also wanted to know how dirty the sensor of my Pentax K-5 that I bought 8 months ago new.  As of today the shutter count on this camera is 4725, and I have never clean the sensor.  This camera has traveled with me a few times, and I have changed lenses along the way.  To my surprised the sensor on the K-5 that I have used for 8 months is even cleaner than my new D600.   This should be a wake up call for Nikon Quality Control.

For the people that say the oil/dust stain on the D600 sensor is normal, and we as a customer should be responsible by cleaning it, then I can say you are crazy.  Either you are working for Nikon, or truely a fanboy.  I know cleaning the sensor is like eating a pie, drinking a soda, or watch American football every Sunday, but this is not acceptable for a brand new camera with only taking 15 shots to be dirtier than my 8 months old camera.  As of now, my shutter count on the D600 is only 40, and I'm not interested to see how much more oil it will get if I continue to shoot with it.  Besides I heard that if you shoot more than 200 shots on your camera, there will be a restocking fee when you return it.  Anyhow, I contacted B&H, and the gentleman was nice enough to exchange me another.

Halai

Nikon D600 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow