I don't shoot m4/3 because of size

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,573Gear list
Like?
Re: not that "more light" argument again
In reply to JosephScha, Dec 21, 2012

JosephScha wrote:

What matters at the sensor is light intensity.

You wrote: "While it's true that f/1.4 is f/1.4 on any camera, on FF that f/1.4 gives the sensor four times as much light to work with as it does on MFT. That difference matters if light is in short supply."

The first sentence is true, clearly. But it does not matter - the four thirds sensor occupies (I'll guess) 1/4 the area, so the light intensity at the sensor is he same. Now, it could be that squishing even 12MP onto that sensor results in somewhat smaller photo sensors (we know that's true) and therefore even if everything else about sensors was equal we should expect more noise. But the same thing is happening in larger format 24MP cameras ... check it and see.

What is your explanation of the difference in low light performance between e.g. the best FF sensors and the best MFT sensors? My explanation is that the difference is mostly due to sensor size. Is your explanation something else?

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I doNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow