Good Camera below $100

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Camera below $100
In reply to viplu, Dec 21, 2012

I don't think there's a lot of good cameras in this price range; the Canon A series are the only ones I'd consider giving as a present.

I did give a young daughter a GE A1050 and I've been pleasantly impressed by it's performance - for $50 it puts out quite acceptable shots, and it has stood up to abuse a lot better than a couple Canon A570IS cameras I got for older kids, both were defunct within a couple years. But the GE looks and feels a bit cheap, it's quite basic with few features and it needs rechargeable batteries - it burns through alkaline AAs like they're free.

I've had bad experiences with Nikon and Olympus pocket cameras, I'd avoid them. Fuji makes a nice camera, but the photo quality isn't quite up to snuff in this price range.

For $150 you can get a really good camera - such as the Panasonic ZS15 (own it, love it) or the Canon SX160 both running $149; the Canon SX150 is available for $129. If you can stretch a bit the Canon SX260 is is a steal at $189 right now; it's an excellent all-rounder pocket camera.

Colin.

-- hide signature --

unus pes præ altero....

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow