Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nevada-is-HOME
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
Re: Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!
In reply to luvmybec, Dec 21, 2012

When you buy wrong, you buy twice..  That is good advice that I don't seem to be able to follow.  Variety / trial and error / experimentation are spices of life -- at least for me.

That said, I finally won on Ebay a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.. but in my case an 80-200mm Tokina lens.

I guess it is my way to stay with Sony a bit longer until they actually build a camera with the sports shooters in mind.

I am encouraged by the dpreview Gold award for the Sony A57 and now the A99.  So there still might be hope for Sony shooters out there yet.  I hear the Sony video features are top notch.. so if that is the future, then Sony is well positioned and is ahead of the curve.

Certainly the A57 burst mode is far faster than the Canon 7D that I had my eyes for a while.. but the 7D price point of less than $1K hasn't been breached just yet.. so I am staying put with Sony a while longer.

I also see today that BUYDIG has the Pentax K-5 body for less than $690 for the first time.  The low light ISO performance is rated right there with the Nikon D7000 because they use the same Sony based 16mp sensor.

All the while.. I have been experimenting with PP to clean up my images at ISO 1600 and hoping the 1/500 - 1/640sec shutter speed at F/1.7- 2.4 range will fit the bill for most HS gyms.

On the other hand, I am still hoping for the day that the likes of Canon G15 can make a giant leap in low light performance that is acceptable to me.  In the mean time, I have experimented with a Samsung EX-1 for sports shooting.. so the next iteration of premium compact cameras may be on the verge of breaking through as a back up camera to carry next to a DSLR for most away from the action shots.

Sony A550 shot with a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens using manual focus in a 1970s era gym with decent / average lights primarily due to low ceiling and white ceiling/walls.  Pics will appear soft at full resolution for variety of reasons.. aggressive cropping, shadow DOF, and manual focus error.

I shot the girls game with a Samsung EX-1 and it did ok.  I wasn't willing to go over ISO 800 and kept the shutter speed between 1/180 and 1/250.  If I had used the on board camera flash, I could have upped the shutter speed to 1/500 and dropped the ISO400.. and I am confident the premium compact P&S camera with f/1.4-2.4 lens can perform comparably with any $1K DSLR setup using no camera flash if you are positioned right.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow