Barn-Door Mount Article - Some Revisions

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
wfektar
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
Re: Barn-Door Mount Article - Some Revisions
In reply to RustierOne, Dec 21, 2012

Finally got around to building one (of the hinge variety: http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/184). Can't leave well enough alone so am using a pulse width modulation control circuit (in theory more efficient as it's less dissipative, in practice I doubt it matters -- but the controller cost all of $10), smaller gearmotor than the one in the link, and 3:1 gear ratio. All told it cost about $45 -- not including the ballhead, which I had lying around.

I found threaded rod for $3.49 at the local OSH. If you cannot find locally and you need a cheap source of gears, threaded rod, and basically anything mechanical you can think of, try McMaster-Carr at mcmaster.com. grainger.com is good too.

We'll see how it works. But already I can see one change if I were to do this again: for the gear on the threaded rod I would choose one with a small enough hole that you could simply tap through. The two issues I had the hardest time with were a uniform bend in the rod at the correct radius and centering that stupid nut on the gear. The latter I think will provide the largest error in the thing and threading the gear itself would greatly reduce that (that was the intent going to a smaller 3:1 ratio, but I misread the specs...)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow