HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,265Gear list
Like?
Re: HEADSHOTS: 85L 1.2 or 100L f/2.8 Macro IS USM?
In reply to shutterthug, Dec 20, 2012

shutterthug wrote:

UPDATE:

For those of you interested where this headshot photographer landed on the 85L/100L question, I've now had some time to develop an informed opinion.

Having used the 100L Macro for several client sessions in a controlled studio environment where I can make comparisons to my work with the 85L, here's the short of it:

Whether used on my venerable 5D2 or my new 5D3, the 100L has performed wonderfully. My "hit rate" has been noticeably higher with this lens, where I'd grown used to an apparently unacceptable fallout rate with the 85L. I'm shooting at the same f/3.5 aperture, mind you. But to be fair, I think the 85L demands the better AF system of the 1DX/5D3, which I have not had the benefit of until this past week.

So if you're asking me which lens for headshots, my answer is going to be "save your money and get the 100L, unless you've got a 1DX/5D3 and you also shoot a lot of low light events."

But if you recall from my original post, I was also weighing the macro capability of the 100L because I also do food work. Hamstrung by the 85L's lackluster near focal limit and left to over-cropping, it seemed like a good play.

VERSATILITY: How did I get by all these years without a lens like this?

—m

Thanks for sharing.   My 100L sits and stays on my 5d for portraits and macros.  interesting to see how the best work

Peter Hurley,  DVD,  50mpxl, 120 macro, and Kino Flo

http://fstoppers.com/peter-hurley-the-art-behind-the-headshot

http://fstoppers.com/category/originals/page/4

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow