Which to buy? Nikon D7000 or Fujifilm XE1

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,533
Like?
Re: Which to buy? Nikon D7000 or Fujifilm XE1
In reply to mosswings, Dec 20, 2012

I thought about mentioning other ILCs, too, such as NEX.  There are few I'd consider as DSLR replacements, as any camera I'd buy for that purpose would have to have a built in EVF: XE1, NEX-6/7, OM-D E-M5.

The NEX bodies are good and they offer a couple of stabilized f/1.8 primes.  Good for museums, except for lacking macro capability (I don't know how good close focus is or if a Raynox filter would be a viable option).  For landscapes, high quality zooms are lacking, but the zooms that are available are quite good.  The 18-200 is very good for a super zoom and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot landscapes with it, but I'm not sure I'd want it as my primary camera for that purpose.

Fuji has the 18-55 and upcoming 55-200, both priced higher than typical kit lenses and both with faster-than-typical aperture ranges.  I expect their optical performance would be a step above the cheaper Sony options.

Oly is nice because it has in-body IS (handy for those museum situations) but I'm not sure what's available for high quality zooms.  (I keep mentioning zooms because I know that when I've done landscape photography, I've preferred zooms for their ability to frame the way you want without excessive cropping after the fact).  There are excellent primes, and I know that m43 users have knocked NEX for lousy zooms, but in looking at tests & reviews, I haven't seen much in the way of decent zooms for m43.  Even the new Panasonic f/2.8 zoom gets a lukewarm reception.

Back on the Nikon front, a pair of high quality zooms (like 16-85 & 70-300) is expensive and big & heavy in comparison, so you have to pick your poison.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow