boogieboogie
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: Resistive screen - 5R
In reply to Puddleglum, Dec 20, 2012

Puddleglum wrote:

Puddleglum wrote:

squirrelyfox wrote:

I've been generally pretty happy with the resistive touch screen. No big issues. I really only use it though for touch/tracking focus and for zooming in while reviewing pictures that said I really do love having it for both of those reasons. For accessing other menus and options the physical controls are still faster and more efficient I find.

After playing around with it a bit I generally agree with this assessment. It's really useful for touch shutter, for triggering manual focus assist, and for reviewing photos. Everywhere else it's just as well to use the physical controls. I don't perceive the resistive screen to hinder these functions really. I tried navigating the various menus via touch, I think capacative vs resistive is a non-issue because the menus simply aren't designed for touch, and aren't responsive enough for touch to be useful. The NEX simply does not have a modern, touch-friendly interface. (I'm not entirely sure it needs one, but I do think advertising a touch interface and delivering something that is inferior to a 5 year old iPhone or Android device is not a great play from a marketing perspective)

Okay, I just setup my account and downloaded some apps. If Sony is serious about touch-based apps they need to invest a lot more effort in building a responsive touch interface. Entering my email and password with the on-screen keyboard was going back in time 10 years.

It seems that resistive screens need a pointed object such as a stylus/finger nail and are very unresponsive with a blunt object such as a finger. So back to my original question, does the 5R's screen feel more responsive and accurate with a finger nail or stylus?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow