Who here uses a monopod?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
amateurphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
Re: MONO FOR SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY
In reply to tamasine, Dec 20, 2012

tamasine wrote:

It's not something I'd thought about before - I use a tripod for macro work and long exposures. I was chatting with a friend of mine who is a semi-professional photographer and he suggested I get a monopod as it's far more portable.  TRIPOD IS DEFINITELY BETTER THAN MONOPOD FOR LONG EXPOSURES AS MONOPODS REQUIRES YOU TO HAND HOLD IT AND THEREFORE SUBJECT TO MOVEMENT.  MONOPODS CAN BE USED FOR MACRO WORK IF THE SHUTTER SPEED IS FAST TO STOP BLUR, IT IS HANDIER AND QUICKER TO SET UP THAN A TRIPOD SO IF CHASING AN INSECT IS MORE VERSATILE.

Ok, I understand the portable bit. What I don't know is how do you keep it steady if (for example) you're in a museum and you cannot dig it in to the ground...won't it be impossible to keep it from twitching as you are taking the shot? (I have a feeling there's a simple answer and I'm being dense!)  KEEP IT STEADY WITH ONE HAND ON THE MONOPOD WHILE THE OTHER HAND ON THE CAMERA BODY. YES THE MONO MAY ROCK BUT IS GENERALLY STEADIER THAN IF JUST HAND HOLDING THE CAMERA

Do you guys and gals use a monopod on a regular basis and if so, in what types of situations and how do you keep it steady?   SPORT PHOTOGRAPHY WHERE YOU ARE CARRYING A LARGE LENS , I.E. 300 F2.8 PLUS.  TAKES THE WEIGHT OFF YOUR SHOULDERS!  ALLOWS YOU TO WALK AROUND WITH THE CAMERA AND LENS ATTACHED TO BE CARRIED ON YOUR SHOULDER WHILE HOLDING THE MONO.  ALSO ALLOWS RAISING AND LOWER THE LENS QUICKLY AS DEALING WITH ONE POLE INSTEAD OF THREE.  IMPORT WHEN THE TERRAIN IS UP AND DOWN, E.G. GOLF COURSE.  ALSO MONO ARE LIGHTER THAN TRIPOD, WHICH IS IMPORTANT WHEN WORKING ALL DAY WITH A HEAVY LENS.   CAN BE USED FOR WILDLIFE WHEN ON THE MOVE, OR EVEN FROM THE BACK OF A JEEP ON SAFARI.

i ALSO USED THE MONO RECENT FOR A CONCERT SHOOT, STUCK MY CAMERA ON SELF TIMER AND UP INTO THE AIR WITH A FISH EYE LENS.  TRIPOD WOULD BE HEAVIER TO DO THIS.

I'm guessing you cannot use one to take a long exposure?   NO INTENDED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow