Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Cerra2
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to nirvana0001, Dec 20, 2012

I am just not sure who KR thinks his audience is.

A pro isn't going to ask him.  A pro envisions the job and brings the lens he needs.  He has both a mid range zoom and a 50 mm prime.

An advanced amateur might benefit from thinking about the advice, not because KR knows something he doesn't, but because he might be on a budget, and a great prime is a lot cheaper than a great mid range zoom.  (and because the advanced amateur lusts for the 24-70 instead of the 24-85...)

A beginner probably got a kit zoom with the camera.  KR might be better off extolling the virtues of prime lenses to this group, rather than talking down the kit zoom.

I got the kit zoom with the D600.  I think the lens has a few issues, notably vignetting wide open and both barrel and pincushion distortion.  I can deal with the former, because I won't shoot wide open, I got VR and ISO to 6400 to help me shoot at 5.6.  I can deal with the latter in post processing.  Otherwise, this is a hell of a lens for the price.  Nobody needs to be talking it down...

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting a D600, aD300s, a D200, D70 and N50. Have a 'F.'
Also shooting with Konica 35mm SLRS (T3 and FT-1) with numerous Hexanon Lenses. Printer: Canon i9900.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow