Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Deutsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,995Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 14-42x on the E-M5: no problem
Dec 20, 2012

When the Panasonic PZ 14-42x came out, there were reports of blurry images at certain shutter speeds, the shutter speed apparently interacting with OIS.  I used this lens with the GX1, and never found the problem to be as great as some people reported, but it was there when I looked for it.  Now that I have the E-M5, whose IBIS bypasses the OIS of the 14-42x, I wanted to see if the problem was still present.  The shutter speed that had been particularly problematic with the GX1 was 1/160, so, as a practical test, I did some shooting (at Allan Gardens in Toronto) with the E-M5 set at shutter priority, 1/160, Auto ISO.

The result of this admittedly limited and informal test was that there was no blurring that I could detect.  The photos below are at 14mm (first two), 34mm (third) and 42mm (fourth).  BTW, the fourth photo was at ISO3200.  If I had not maintained the self-imposed shutter speed of 1/160, I would have changed the shutter speed to 1/80 or even 1/40, which would have resulted in  correspondingly lower ISO.

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow