Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,190
Like?
Nex-5n and Ever Ready case
Dec 20, 2012

I don't like the size of the Nex-5n. It is a little too small for me. I tried out a Nex-6 at the Sony store and liked the feel of it in my hand much better. I was looking at the Camera Size site and the difference between the 5n and 6 and noticed the grip is about, if not the same, width, but has a much deeper height in the photo below.

The 6 is a bit taller than the 5n as well, giving a little more room to wrap more of your fingers around the grip. The 5n is my new toy so I'm not going to be buying the 6 anytime soon.

I bought a half case/ever ready case for the 5n and that really helped the feel of the 5n as it gives the grip the longer length of the 6. It provides about a quarter inch to the bottom of the 5n which really makes it easier to hold the camera in my hand. For the $14 spent, it more than pays for itself in comfort. The width of the grip also improves as it has the leather like wrap around it, but it isn't close to the height of the grip on the Nex-6 in the image above.

Looking at the half case part of the ever ready case, I noticed that there is enough play in the grip area that I could stuff small lens cloth into the gap and that would give the 5n a grip that was as deep as the one on the 6. That's was cool, but then I thought why not use the gap to store a SD card as the size is right. So I made a paper and gaffers tape pocket for the SD card and glued it to the inside of the case at the grip. That worked out great to give the grip a fatter feel and the case fits on the camera as well as it did before.

I didn't really think I would use the ever ready part of the case, but now that I had a place to store a extra SD card, I thought it would be nice to also have a way to carry an extra battery as well. In the image above you can see the ever ready case has a bump for the flash. Amazingly the length of the battery is about a perfect fit in that hump. The width is too wide, so I cut a 12mm thick piece of craft foam to size and stuff fitted it into the hump with the battery. When the battery is removed the craft foam stays in place and when the battery is inserted, the compressed foam holds the battery very tightly in the hump. I doubt the battery would ever come out on its own.

With the plastic flash case mounted on the neck strap, I now have, extra battery, extra SD card, and flash all in a pretty small carry, as well as a much more comfortable to use Nex-5n.

Thank you
Russell

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow