Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
In praise of the OM-D
Dec 20, 2012

Not fanboyism at all, I just wanted to say how utterly delighted I am with this camera.  I've had quite a few high end cameras now, some that I got on really well with but could see why others didn't (the E3), some that were great in some ways but with disturbing flaws (E330), some that were very effective but I personally found rather annoying (GH2, D3), but the OM-D is the first I've ever had that works brilliantly, should work brilliantly for most other people who have a clue about what they are buying, and along with which I get really well.
This not to knock other cameras, sounds like the GH3 is excellent too, the D600 brings full frame to the masses, Fuji's X-Pro gives people proper, sensible controls, the D800 re-defines the state of the art for quality, and the E-PM2 puts high end dSLR quality in your shirt pocket.   
But, even so, the OM-D is a jewel.  There is almost nothing to complain about.  One or two odd menu defaults, bracketing missing off the drive menu (but with so much DR, bracketing is optional), no mirrorless has proper C-AF, and if you don't want a small camera, well, you'll find it small.  That's it though.  I don't care about high ISO, but it manages that quite well.  At low ISO the image quality is breathtaking.  It has, with LR4, more DR than you can shake a stick at.  The IBIS is, for the first time in my opinion, highly effective.  It is, while not pocketable, tiny, yet once your hands have become accustomed to the small size, a joy to use.  Apart from the C-AF, it shoots like a demon.  And, best of all, there are lovely lenses for it and more coming.
Really well done Oly!  You've made a wonderful photographic tool, and I'll do my best to get everything out of it!

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Nikon D3 Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow