Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
Cold affects battery capacity
In reply to nick101, Dec 20, 2012

nick101 wrote:

shadowhumper wrote:

I am planning a trip over the arctic circle and the temperatures can reach -15c (5f) or below that and I am wondering if the camera can be used at this low temperatures?
Would using a Lumix 20 mm on an OM-D body cause any damage to either the body or the lens under such temperature? I know that it is weather sealed with the kit lenses so it is probably okay with it.

thanks in advance.

Judging by others' experience, should be OK if you follow simple precautions:

- Keep the camera inside your jacket/coat except when shooting. If you have glove warmers etc, they might help

- Take special care when coming from the cold into the warm - condensation. A common trick is to put the camera in a ziploc bag when going indoors. The risk is condensation.

The 2 main threats are condensation (as above, bags help, as does taking care when changing lenses) and the fact that electronics don't like cold.

The camera itrself works fine when it is real cold, but the battery capacity goes down dramatically. If you can't keep the camera inside your clothes, try to at least keep the battery in a warm pocket when you don't use it.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow