Ideas on panoramic stiching techniques...

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
Ideas on panoramic stiching techniques...
Dec 20, 2012

What lenses do you prefer for shooting different types of panoramic stitches and why? What programs do you prefer for stitching your panoramic images?

I have two lenses that I use often for my panormic shots and one that I dare to use because it's harder to get the stitching to look correct. I used to use Hugin to stitch my images, but now use CS4 and prefer it because it does a better job and leaves all of the EXIF data in the stitched image.

My favorite lens to shoot panoramic shots with is my DA* 50-135 f2.8. I love this medium-legnth telephoto lens because it doesn’t give me too many focus issues between my midground and background objects at its sweet-spot for image quality~ f5.6-f8. Best-of-all, it produces a nice flat, un-distorted, contrasty’n’sharp-looking image when it’s all said and done.

Mount Darwin, Kings Canyon NP, 9/30/2012

6 portrait-oriented 85mm shots taken from about 1 ½ miles away:

The Keeler Needles and Mount Whitney, Sequoia NP, 12/9/2012

10 portrait-oriented 55mm shots taken from about 1 mile away:

Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks as seen from the San Joaquin Valley, 12/19/2012

12 portrait-oriented 135mm shots taken from about 8 miles away from the foothills:

My 2nd most preferred lens for shooting panoramic shots is my DA* 16-50 f2.8. I typically try to shoot this lens above 21mm and no more than 40mm when I do use it to shoot panos. I like the fact that it’s gives me a little more ability to work in closer proximities and tighter spaces to the scenery that I’m trying to stitch together. It definitely doesn’t give as much of a nice flat-looking image, but its wider FOV allows for a little more depth perception and it has more play with focus between foreground and background objects.

Overlooking Lake Italy from Mount Hilgard, John Muir Wilderness, 5/27/2012

Not sure how many shots this was, probably between 10-15 portrait-oriented 16mm shots taken from about 1 mile to Lake Italy.

Lone Pine Creek, Sequoia NP, 8/27/2012

3 landscape-oriented 16mm shots taken from the High Sierra Trail Bridge about 100ft overhead. "Note, this is a vertical stitch and unlike all of the other photos in this post that were stitched with CS4, I used Hugin and a custom HDR mode":

Red Mountain Basin from Red Mountain, Kings Canyon NP, 7/7/2012

7 portrait-oriented 26mm shots take from about ¾ of a mile to the large lake below. I don’t like the bending mountainside on this shot directly in the foreground and would love to experiment with some different stitching modes in CS4 someday to see if I can resolve this in this shot:

My least-used & special-purpose panoramic lens would be my DA 12-24 f4 lens. I don’t prefer to use this lens often seeing as it has practically no compression effects on my shots and it can be hard to stitch with to get the appearance to look correct.  However, it can produce some really wild-looking and impressive panoramic shots when it stitches together properly.

Looking south from atop of Mount Dade, John Muir Wilderness, 10/20/2012

13 portrait-oriented 12mm shots take from about 1 ¾ miles north of the main mountain ridge that runs the length of this photo:

The relationship between the Keeler Needles, Mount Whitney, and Mount Russell, John Muir Wilderness/Sequoia National Park border, 12/9/2012

10 portrait-oriented 16mm shots take from about 1¼ miles east of the main mountain ridge that runs the length of this photo. I unintentionally used my DA12-24 f4 lens becasue it's all I brought on this portion of the climb, but after after experimenting with a variety of stitching options in CS4, I found one that I liked and really liked the look of the image that I got with this lens on this shot:

Please feel free to share any techniques that you've learned in the field and/or the PC with different lenses and and stitching software.

Thanks,

David

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow