Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287
Like?
D600 matrix metering. What's up?
Dec 20, 2012

First clue there was a problem with matrix metering was when I took a picture of my cat against a bright backdrop.  The cat was framed to the right but it's body and head filled 70% of the frame.  The cat was severely underexposed.  I haven't seen this kind of issue with backlighting in years.  All my recent cameras are much "smarter" about such scenarios.

So i tried another test.  I took a picture of a bathroom light.  The light bar consisted of three lights and I aimed at the center one.  Once again, the D600 severely underexposed the scene.  Most of the histogram was on the bottom 10%.

I took the same picture with my 7D, also in matrix mode, and it only slightly underexposed the scene...with the histogram slightly skewed to the left.  I'll post that pic when I get a chance to upload it.  In the meantime, here are the pics from the D600.

Center point...about what you'd expect.

Center weight.  Maybe about right considering it is weighting to the center which is on a light.

Matrix.  Strangely even darker than center weight.

Matrix aimed above light.  Still way too dark.

Matrix with +3 EV.  Much better.

I tried the scene with a couple other contrast detection cameras I had and they exposed the scene perfectly.  Of course, they have the benefit of using the actual image sensor to meter.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ADLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow