D700 users who have bought D600 - Thoughts and comments?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mac
Mac
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 users who have bought D600 - Thoughts and comments?
In reply to vladi1234567, Dec 20, 2012

vladi1234567 wrote:

Mac wrote:

While reading through the posting "Anyone else wishing/waiting for a D750?" (a thought provoking thread), I read the following from another user:

• "But personally, I owned a D3s for a year, and I just got rid of a D600 after a few months - I prefer my D700 to both of these cameras. If D750 is released tomorrow - I probably would not go for it at all - I would wait with buying a new Nikon until after my D700 functions no more. I love it."

Hi there. That was my post, actually So allow me to explain better - the main reason I kept D700 over D3s and D600 was that when looking at the final result - the pictures from D700 looked the best to me. I couldn't understand why the D3s pictures didn't look as good - I was using the same lenses on both cameras - but they just didn't. I gave it a year, but I never really got any pictures with D3s that made me say "WOW" - unlike D700. So I sold it.

As far as D600 - I thought maybe 24 megapixels would make a difference, but in two months of me owning the camera I was never able to take any pictures that would look much different from D700 pictures. And in many cases I actually preferred D700 pictures to D600 - again, using the same lenses on both cameras. So to me it just didn't make sense to spend thousands on cameras that I didn't think produced better pictures than my D700.

In conclusion, I think I'm going to wait for maybe D800s - I have a feeling that Nikon will keep the same sensor, but will improve ISO, FPS and focusing in that refresh, and by that time 36 megapixels won't seem outrageous anymore. So D800s will finally become a D700 replacement.

In case you're interested - the lenses I use are:

35 2.0d,

50 1.8d,

85 1.4d,

180 2.8d

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100
www.vnkphoto.com

Thank you for posting!  I was hoping you would pick up this thread and respond.  My reply to you was buried so far down in that thread, wasn't sure if you would see.  Yours and another post within that thread really touched a nerve within me.  I have no doubt that the D600 deals launched last weekend may rank as the deal of the year but as stated earlier, I am having mixed feelings about selling the D700.  I can't justify holding on to both.  I know, nice problem to have.

Mac's gear list:Mac's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow